How to manage your money in your 20’s & 30’s using 6 jars only



Finance is very important for everyone to survive in the world and ensure a wealthy life is gained. But what’s more difficult is to manage the finance earned after working the whole month on your toes. For monthly earners like me, planning is very important to organize the money and prevent myself from being broke at the end of every month. Though there are many other techniques such as 50-20-30 this might not be enough for and has loopholes in management. Instead of this, I’m going to introduce new techniques to make optimum use of your earnings.

So if you are also trying to find ways not to be broke at the end of every month then this article explains it all to you. 

Let’s dive in! 

The technique which I have tried and tested is using 6 Jars. You can always put some percent of your earnings in each jar. The following are the names of these jars.

  • Daily expenses- Daily expenses form the major part of disposable earnings. These expenses include everything such as rent, food, clothes, and all other necessities. So in this jar, you would need at least 50% Off your monthly income. Deciding this will also help you to analyze how much more you are spending every month on things you don’t even need. 
  • Education- It is the second jar which is very important as upskilling yourself is a key to success. Even if monthly it might seem less but when you accumulate these funds for over a year it will benefit you in the long run. So in this jar, you have to put 10% of your monthly income. 
  • Long-term savings- Just as the name suggests these funds are for the long run. These savings can be used for anything you have been waiting for a long time. This can be the most awaited vacation, gold investment, or buying new assets. In this also you have to put 10% of your income.
  • Investments- These investments can form your passive income. These can be in the form of shares or investments in gold or real estate. Investing money is very important for you to inculcate the habit of reading the share market and earn little extra income. You can put 10% of your monthly income in this option.
  • Play- This option might seem very interesting and attractive for you as it includes savings that you will make to spend the money on yourself. This jar is advised to be broken every three months. As the saying goes, life is empty if you do not enjoy its flavours. So this saving will help you enjoy spending on clothes, one day vacation, or anything that brings happiness to you. In this Jar too you will put 10% of your monthly income. Which might sum up big at the end of three months.
  • Community services- Having 90% of your income used so far the rest 10% is to be invested in community services that are given back to the community. This will help you bring a sense of happiness. 

So these are the 6 Jars that you would need to fill to ensure your pockets and heart is never empty. Manage your finances and kickstart the right habits so that you can live a life of Fun, Freedom, Fortune & Fulfilment!

About the author


VIVEK IYYANI is a Millennial Specialist and Keynote Speaker at Millennial Minds Pte Ltd. He is the Author of the book Empowering Millennials and Engaging Millennials and has spoken at organisations like Oracle, Julius Bär, the Brunei Government,, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore Police Force, Johnson & Johnson, DELTA Airlines, and many more. He has been featured by the National Population and Talent Division (NPTD) under the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) to feature in a video of #MySingaporeStory. He has also appeared on Channel NewsAsia twice as a guest on the Millennial topic and on local media such as Vasantham TV Channel and Oli 96.8FM Radio. Vivek is known in his industry to speak at conferences on how to engage the young generation to work at their peak potential.


Adulting, Gen Z, Money Habits

You may also like

Event Planners: Ever wondered what separates a great event speaker from a good one? Discover the 5 critical considerations you shouldn’t overlook

Event Planners: Ever wondered what separates a great event speaker from a good one? Discover the 5 critical considerations you shouldn’t overlook
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}